It's been almost a month now, but during spring break we headed south towards Monterey Bay. Along the way we passed through some amazing farm country, like the fields of artichokes I already mentioned. That region is loaded with top-notch farming of all types. I was reminded of this last weekend when Emily commented that the garlic I sent her for the food exchange was HUGE.
I guess the garlic WAS huge, but I almost didn't notice. Here's why. . . I bought the garlic and the pesto in Gilroy on our trip. And, since Gilroy is less than 150 miles away from where I live, nearly all of the garlic I eat comes from there.
Gilroy is supposedly the garlic capitol of the world. The town even smells of garlic ~ in fact it smells strongly of garlic. When we've passed through on the highway we have often smelled garlic through the vents while our windows were rolled up! Last month we stopped in at a farmstand called "Garlic World" and picked up some super fresh bulbs. I sent a few to Emily in her box, and well...they're big! I'm constantly complaining that the garlic cloves don't fit in my garlic press. Such a problem, right?
Anyway, if you're ever looking for some fun with garlic, you might consider heading to Gilroy's Garlic Festival. I've never been, but I bet it's loads of fun and also pretty. . .er, smelly!
Always stocked Animals Appetizer Architecture Beer Big Munchkin Bragging rights Breakfast Breaks Cats Chile Peppers Community Cooking Methods Davis Dessert Eating Out Excursions Food Topics Foodplay Gift Ideas Giveaway Health Holidays Hubby Inspiration Just a thought Kid Food Life Local Greats Meatless Mondays Mexican Inspired Movies Music My Little Secret Parties Pizza Quick Recipes Remix Sacramento Salad San Francisco Sandwiches Snacks Soup Summer Eating Toddler Travel Upscale Vegan Vegetarian Weekend
© Appetite for Conversation, 2009-present. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Appetite for Conversation with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- Farmer's Kitchen Cafe Best Weeknight Takeout in Davis - I pre-order for home delivery
- Kerbey Lane Cafe My favorite pancake place ~ located in Austin, TX, no less! Don't miss it if you have the chance to go
- Le Petit Boutique and Cafe Visit Paris in Sacramento! Shopping, coffee, and pastries
- Nugget Market Best cakes, cupcakes, and tiramisu in Davis
- Patxi's Pizza Fantastic Chicago-style pizza in San Francisco
- Russian River Brewing Company Great beers and lots of happy people in Santa Rosa
- San Francisco's Academy of Science Who knew a museum could have such classy food?
- St. Helena Olive Oil Co. They ship Napa Valley edibles all over the country, or visit their store for samples
- Stephen's Farmhouse Located on the edge of Yuba City, this adorable old-fashioned farmstand offers a variety of pies, cookies, jams, produce, and gifts.
- Surfing Goat Dairy One of Maui's great surprises - tour the farm, feed the goats, and enjoy some of the best cheese of your life!
- Tea List Davis' very own Tea Room, offering a variety of teas, sandwiches, and pastries
- The Tuck Box An idyllic little place in Carmel that's one-of-a-kind
My Blog List
- ▼ April (17)