Monday, June 28, 2010

The Problem with June

Cherries. The problem with June is the cherries ~ lots and lots of cherries.

June always starts out hopeful, with recent memories of the beautiful cherry blossoms on the tree in our yard. When we peer upwards we see green, red, and then deep purple clusters of fruit hanging above us. Soon we spend our weekends like this:


But sadly, it doesn't last. Before long we spend our weekends staring at (and cleaning up!) the cherries that have fallen and are all over the ground. June is definitely a problem.

This year turned out a little different. What made all of the mess so incredibly worth it was the fact that a few weeks ago I made my very first cobbler. I had no idea how easy they are to make, and I will definitely be doing this again. We had a cherry-picking party, so those of us not climbing on the roof to grab for cherries pitted them on the ground instead. Once we had enough pitted I added a little sugar.


Then I baked them for about 30 minutes. I topped them with a simple drop biscuit concoction which I sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.


The cobbler went back in the oven, and then before long it was half gone.


The recipe came from an America's Test Kitchen cookbook, and it was just marvelous. If only I had time to make one every weekend. If only I could make one now instead of sweeping up cherry remnants before they ferment on the ground. Afterall, this is why June is such a problem. But this year that cobbler saved it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP