Monday, September 13, 2010

Meatless Mondays: Le Menu


I have been a vegetarian for many, many years. As a young teenager I endured my fair share of teasing, and I encountered many situations where my only food option was to remove sausage or pepperoni from pizza and simply ignore the traces that stayed behind. Even in law school where I was surrounded by large numbers of vegetarians, the veggie-friendly options frequently ran out at school events or wasn't up-to-snuff to begin with.

As a result of countless bad experiences, I am always so grateful when an event is veggie-friendly and when it is done well. Last Friday I attended one such event ~ an evening garden party. There was a live band and a full bar, and the the party was all-around great.

There is no question that the meat-eaters dominated at this party. And, as far as I could tell, the meat-eaters were well taken care of. There were giant prawns, chicken satay, and lamb, all of which appeared to be accompanied by a scrumptious sauce and other appropriate adornments.

My expectations were low for the veggie fare, but it turned out to be both abundant and great. The veggie-friendly menu included:
  • Mango salad rolls
  • Pizza with blue cheese and pear
  • Pizza with onions, tomatoes, and feta
  • Heirloom tomato bruschetta (garden-fresh tomatoes, with top-notch olive oil ~ yum!)
Add some amazing chocolate cupcakes, butter cookies, truffles, and brownies, and it made for a great edible evening. It is so wonderful when a menu gives veggie fare the attention is deserves, and I know that the meat-eaters probably appreciated the variety, too!

2 comments:

  1. those stuffed mushrooms look delicious... I assume they were vegetarian as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were! I made them for a pre-Thanksgiving party last year...almost exactly a year ago. Here's my recipe post: http://appetiteforconversation.blogspot.com/2009/11/ive-got-winner.html. I just might have to make them again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP