Thursday, September 16, 2010

So Saucy

{Green Bean Casserole}

I have a new secret sauce. I think it's pretty great, but my hubby absolutely loves it. He's always had a taste for creamy sauces ~ alfredo, bechamel, creamy pesto. Basically, if there's cream in it he loves it. Of course this hasn't always worked out so well for him. I mean, a busy dad can only squeeze in so many runs to stay ahead of the cream sauces. You know what I mean!

This creamy sauce isn't actually creamy ~ its texture comes from someplace other than cream. It has very little fat and lots of flavor, not to mention a dose of protein and fiber. So far I've used it with veggies and as a pasta sauce. Success, success, success! I plan to continue adapting this recipe for as many uses as I can. Tonight I'll share my basic recipe, and I'll share a few of my variations soon.

Consider trying it out. I think you'll be surprised how flavorful and satisfying it is ~ especially when you don't feel like running off a real cream sauce!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Garlic and Herb "Cream" Sauce
  • 1 15 oz. can canellini or white kidney beans, undrained
  • Up to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Up to 2 tsp. of dried herbs (try thyme, rosemary, oregano, parsley, or a combination)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
Place all ingredients in a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend until the sauce is smooth and creamy. It's that simple!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds great! B is the same way - I'll have to see if I can't fool him with this! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! I started using white beans to replace mayo in my creamy Caesar dressing, and I will never go back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest FemmeCurieuse - I think great men think {and eat} alike!

    Julie - glad to know there are more possibilities out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome idea! I love white kidney beans and use em' a lot for dips, but for a sauce!? Thanks for sharing your ideas. Great blog by the way!

    -Tony
    www.realmeneatgreen.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this healthy version of creamy sauce! well done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP