Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Get Your Sauces Ready

It's dipping time!

Recently my toddler has stopped liking cheese very much. This is unfortunate, since cheese sandwiches and cheese quesadillas have been a staple around here for a while. So I have reinvigorated my efforts to find alternative protein sources for her. I've turned once again to the tofu puzzle. This time I may have really solved it, too.


Each time I've made these nuggets they have disappeared from the plate in half the time I expected. They are perfect for dipping. We've tried Bittman's barbecue sauce and ranch dressing, but I can't wait to try a good marinara or blue cheese dressing. Definitely report back if you discover some good combos.

The best part is that the recipe couldn't be simpler.


Tofu Nuggets
Adapted from Nava Atlas
  • 1 lb. block extra firm tofu (I like the locally made Sacramento Company)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. wheat flour
  • 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
  • 1 Tbsp. grated parmesan
  • 1/2 tsp. Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil a nonstick baking sheet. Cut the tofu crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slabs and blot with a paper towel to remove moisture. Cut each slab into 1/2-inch by 1-inch nuggets.

In a shallow baking dish gently toss the tofu in the oil. Mix the other ingredients in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the tofu. Toss gently some more, until the nuggets are well coated.

Arrange in a single layer on the prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes, then turn carefully and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden and firm. Serve with the sauce of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP